As the warm summer weather is quickly approaching, Fisher Real Estate has drafted some tips to help you make the most out of your island time by getting ahead of some common headaches and hassles. If you are renting your home, this list will facilitate smoother turnover transitions. If you plan to enjoy your Nantucket house yourself, hopefully these spring cleaning tips will help you minimize your time in the stores and maximize it on the beach.
Here is a check list of spring cleaning items to consider getting your Nantucket home ready for the 2017 summer season:
- Confirm your turnover day and cleaning times with your cleaning service.
- Have your windows cleaned and check windows that may need repair after winter storms. Consider having your outdoor furniture cleaned and deck power washed.
- Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Massachusetts requires carbon monoxide detectors in private dwellings via state statute.
- If you have a gas-fired BBQ, have a back up propane take full and ready to go. You or your tenants never want to run out half-way through grilling!
- Have your HVAC air filters checked and replaced, if necessary.
- Check your beach items to ensure chairs/towels/umbrellas are still in good condition and that you have enough for your home’s rental occupancy.
- Check your bed and bath linens for quality and to be certain you have sufficient sets to help cleaners through busy rental transitions.
- Have you stocked up on household supplies? Paper Towels, Dish Soap, Sponges, Toilet Paper, Cleaning Supplies, Broom, Vacuum Bags etc. Automate delivery with a service like SOAP.com or Amazon Home.
- Conduct a kitchen inventory to check the condition and amount of your kitchen utensils and supplies.
- Check and see if your home qualifies for a Home Energy Audit and, if so, make an appointment with Mass-Save for energy- and money-saving tips.
- Are you concerned about ticks, mosquitos, and deer for your family and your tenants? Consider a preventive mitigation program. Check out ohDEER, an on-island resource for controlling pesky pests!
- Prepare any property specific instructions and service person call lists for tenants and provide any updates to your rental agents.